• Home
  • Shade Tree Minutes
Ridgewood Shade Tree Commission Meeting Minutes
October 15, 2019

Opening
The regular meeting of the Ridgewood Shade Tree Commission was called to order at 7:35PM on October 15, 2019 by Andrew Lowry.
Present
Andrew Lowry, Michael Sedon, Manish Shrimali, Melody Corcoran, Ian Keller, Carolyn Jacoby, Susan Nashel, Declan Madden, Steve McCabe, Jean Epiphan
Approval of Minutes
Motion to approve the minutes for September 10, 2019 was made by Andrew Lowry, seconded by Carolyn Jacoby, and approved by all present.
 
 
Tree Inventory Bidding Process
The water department is mapping the entire village infrastructure using Geographic Information System (GIS) software through the company Civil Solutions. Civil Solutions has a state contract and, therefore, the village does not need to go through a bidding process to use their services.
Many things can be layered on top of this GIS mapping including trees. Davey Tree Service is integrated with Civil Solutions. The preliminary proposal from Davey for a tree inventory of 12,000 village trees was $58,000; each tree above 12,000 would be $3.80 per tree. The inventory is planned to start with the trees on village roads. If there are more than 12,000 trees on village roads, the trees on county roads within the village could be added later.
Street Tree and Adopt-a-Tree Planting 2019
Declan Madden will initially train the contracted crews that are planting the trees this fall and then follow-up to ensure that the trees have been properly planted.
One hundred trees in section B and nine Adopt-a-Trees will be planted this fall; the planting has not yet started. The Adopt-a-Trees will be checked to ensure that the correct species have been planted.
Two hundred fifty-three street trees have been removed so far this year.
Schedler Tree Planting
Manish Shrimali is still waiting on the plans for the Schedler tree planting. The village engineering department has not yet shared information concerning the total number of trees cut down or to be planted. Downes Tree Service did the tree work at Schedler.
 
Evaluation of 2018 Planting
The sawtooth oaks that were planted in 2018 have died. Those particular trees were fall dug. Declan Madden says that is not the correct time to dig up this species and that is why they failed.
The warranty specifics for the 2018 trees are still not known.
Carolyn Jacoby gave Nancy Bigos all of the tree care information that was to be included on the door hangers given to residents who had a tree planted in front of their property.
Train Station
The paper bark maples that were transplanted from Broad Street are doing well.
Shade trees will be planted on the perimeter of the parking lot; the species has not been determined yet. Small trees may be planted in the center aisle.
Earth Day Expenses
Susan Nashel has not been reimbursed yet for Earth Day expenditures. Mike Sedon will meet with the village finance office concerning this delay.
Village Priorities
• The 2020 Parks Department budget needs to include line items for the central business district.
• Ian Keller suggested a possible village ordinance that would require the village to plant a tree for every village tree removed.
• The Parks Department needs a separate crew that only performs tree work.
• Mike Sedon will speak to Chris Rutishauser about the trees to be planted in front of the new construction in the downtown area. The STC has guidelines for street tree planting that would be simple to follow for new construction and beneficial for the trees.
Adjournment
Meeting was adjourned at 9:35PM by: Andrew Lowry.
Minutes submitted by: Melody Corcoran
Volunteer hours: 12
  • Hits: 297
Ridgewood Shade Tree Commission Meeting Minutes September 10, 2019
 
Opening
The regular meeting of the Ridgewood Shade Tree Commission was called to order at 7:35PM on September 10, 2019 by Andrew Lowry.
 
Present
Andrew Lowry, Michael Sedon, Manish Shrimali, Melody Corcoran, Ian Keller, Declan Madden, Susan Nashel, Steven McCabe
 
Approval of Minutes
Motion to approve the minutes for July 9, 2019 was made by Susan Nashel, seconded by Ian Keller, and approved by all present.
 
Tree Inventory Bidding Process
Ian Keller has copies of the Bartlett and Davey tree inventory proposals; there has been no response from Paul Cowey yet. If the tree inventory were to be performed as a professional service, no bidding process would be needed and there would not be a cap on the fee.
The software for the tree inventory needs to be capable of being updated with daily workorders. The cost for yearly software updating also needs to be determined.
The bid package needs to go out 20 to 30 days before a company is chosen for the work. Declan Madden, Manish Shrimali and Ian Keller will review the software management software from the various companies and also the cost to maintain the tree inventory software.
 
Paper Bark Maples (Declan’s Trees)
The paper bark maples have been successfully moved to the train station lot. The trees have irrigation and will be watered twice weekly for 30 minutes. It is not known if any information on the tree move was published in the local newspapers. Jovan Mehandzic’s video of the moving process may be available for a Facebook post.
 
Evaluation of 2018 Tree Planting
Declan Madden needs to be given time to review and evaluate the condition of the trees planted in 2018. Andrew Lowry will check on the terms of the warranty for these trees.
 
2019 Street Tree Planting Budget Cut
The 2019 street tree planting budget was cut because of cost overruns in street paving. Monies need to be found to budget for the trees which have been cut from this year’s planting. It also needs to be clarified if the Chestnut Street tree well demonstration project has been cancelled; Andrew Lowry will speak to Chris Rutishauser about this.
To avoid budget cuts such as these in the future, tree planting needs to made a line item in the Parks and Shade Tree budget.
 
Train Station Parking Lot Trees
The specifications for the trees to be planted on the perimeter of the parking lot have been given to Jovan Mehandzic.
The State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) will be involved in the decision as to the species of trees planted. SHPO has recommended red oak, the NJ state tree. Declan Madden, the village arborist, has recommended willow oak instead because red oak is susceptible to bacterial leaf scorch.
 
Schedler Tree Planting and Clearing
The large sugar maple at Schedler will be cabled, aerated and pruned to preserve it.
The berm will have large boulders placed along the Route 17 side. There will be plantings on top of the berm and in front of the berm on the playing field side.
Mike Sedon will look into getting the exact planting schedule from Chris Rutishauser.
Manish Shrimali will attend the next village council work session to request information on the Schedler plantings.
 
Financial Items
The reimbursement of Susan Nashel’s expenses for Earth Day is still in process.
The STC trust account is approximately $12,000; Adopt-a-Tree funds are placed in this account.
 
Long Term Objectives
The STC needs to have more input to the village council concerning our goals and objectives; it was suggested that once a month a commission member should present our concerns to the council.
Declan Madden needs to be freed from some of his current duties to be able to work on tree inventory bids and other shade tree projects.

Adjournment
Meeting was adjourned at 9:10PM by: Andrew Lowry.
Minutes submitted by: Melody Corcoran
 
Volunteer Hours: 7.5
  • Hits: 325

Ridgewood Shade Tree Commission
Meeting Minutes   :   July 9, 2019

Opening

The regular meeting of the Ridgewood Shade Tree Commission was called to order at 7:35PM on July 9, 2019 by Andrew Lowry.

Present

Andrew Lowry, Michael Sedon, Dan Cramblitt, Manish Shrimali, Melody Corcoran, Ian Keller, Carolyn Jacoby, Declan Madden

Approval of Minutes

Motion to approve the minutes for June 11, 2019 was made by Ian Keller, seconded by Andrew Lowry, and approved by all present.

Tree Inventory Bidding Process

The bidding process occurs through a NJ state online website. Specific contractors can be notified that a call for bids has gone out. Bidding packets may be picked up at the Village Hall. The specifications for the tree inventory need to be determined. Declan Madden and Dan Cramblitt will meet with Paul Cowie. Mr. Cowie has done numerous tree inventories; he does not have a proprietary tree inventory program. He should be able to recommend the specifications needed. All STC members will be notified of the meeting with Mr. Cowie so that they may attend if available.

Winter is the best time to perform an inventory as the structure of the trees is clearly visible after the leaves have fallen. If possible, the monies earmarked for the inventory will be spent this year. Leaving off county roads from the inventory will save money at this time; the county road trees could be inventoried later when there are more funds.

Evaluation of 2018 Planting

Most all of the street trees planted in 2018 are doing well; the 2018 Adopt-a-Trees are in good condition. In the fall, Declan Madden will check the trees, remove stakes, chains and gator bags and prune the trees as necessary.

Dan Cramblitt will check with Jovan Mehandzic in engineering to clarify if the warranty on these trees is for one or two years.

CBD Trees Project

Andrew Lowry sent a confirmation memo to Chris Rutishauser concerning the tree well implementation on Chestnut Street and also about the possibility of including moving the two paper bark maples on Broad Street as part of the train station or parking garage project. Andrew will follow-up with Chris, hopefully in the next two weeks.

Jovan Mehandzic has suggested the train station pedestrian underpass entrance on the west side of the tracks as a new location for the paper bark maples. Alan Goodell of East Coast Tree Service has previously successfully moved trees for the village and would be a good choice for this project.

Other Trees of Concern

The large elm at Graydon needs to be preserved at all costs. Declan Madden said that the elm needs root invigoration using an air spade. Also, mulching and fencing should be done to help protect its roots; further protection could be provided by the addition of a small retaining wall. Treatment for Dutch elm disease will be performed.

Ash trees comprise 15-18% of village trees. Because of the emerald ash borer, these trees will eventually die. The number of trees concerned is too large for the village shade tree crew to handle; an outside contractor will need to be hired. The village needs to budget to remove these trees in the future.

Tree Nursery Group

On July 10, Mike Sedon will meet for the second time with the ad hoc tree nursery group composed of interested residents. Mike will inform them that the village tree crew cannot take care of the nursery; he may take the group to other town nurseries to see all the work that is involved.

If the group is still interested, funds will need to be raised. The village is currently in the process of establishing a 501c(3) that village committees will be able to use for fund raising.

Schedler Tree Planting and Clearing

The soil being moved to the Schedler site from the downtown construction sites has been tested and found to be clean and safe. The soil being moved there is temporarily burying some tree trunks and residents have expressed their concerns to Manish Shrimali.

Trees along Route 17 need to be cut down before the berm along Route 17 can be built and new trees planted on it. The plan for Schedler is available online.

Manish requested that a timeline be published so that residents are aware of what is happening and when. Mike Sedon will check with Heather Mailander about sending out a village-wide email with this information.

The village signal department will be making and posting signs on the current phases of the project.

Ridgewood Calendar for 2020

The STC is no longer involved in this project.

Earth Day Expenses

Susan Nashel gave her receipts to Andrew Lowry for reimbursement from the village.

Long Term Priorities

Andrew Lowry questions whether the STC is making an effort to present our priorities and concerns to the village council. Mike Sedon presents one or two topics from the STC meetings at each village council session. The STC needs to set priorities, make presentations to the council, raise issues, and keep promoting the importance of trees. All these items need to supported with facts.

Adjournment

Meeting was adjourned at 9:15PM by: Andrew Lowry.

Minutes submitted by: Melody Corcoran

Volunteer Hours: 8.75

  • Hits: 333
Ridgewood Shade Tree Commission Meeting Minutes
June 11, 2019

Opening
The regular meeting of the Ridgewood Shade Tree Commission was called to order at 7:35PM on June 11, 2019 by Andrew Lowry.

Present
Andrew Lowry, Michael Sedon, Dan Cramblitt, Melody Corcoran, Ian Keller, Carolyn Jacoby, Declan Madden, Susan Nashel, Jean Epiphan – Park and Recreation Conservation Board liaison to the Shade Tree Commission

Approval of Minutes
Motion to approve the minutes for May 14, 2019 was made by Carolyn Jacoby, seconded by Susan Nashel, and approved by all present.
 
Grant Application
Mike Sedon reported that all necessary paperwork for a $10,000 grant to be used towards a street tree inventory has been submitted to NJ Urban and Community Forestry.
 
Repurposing of Funds
The $50,000 originally funded for tree planting will be reallocated for a tree inventory. Mike Sedon reported that this will be done by an ordinance to be introduced on June 12, 2019 and to be voted on July 17, 2019. The ordinance will take effect 20 days after passage. The money will be available on August 6, 2019. The specifications for the bids for this work can begin now. Jean Epiphan will ask Pam Zipse, Outreach Coordinator, Rutgers Urban Forestry Program, which metrics should be included in a tree inventory to ensure that the proper specifications are listed on the bids. Ian Keller will help develop the specifications.
 
Tree Inventory
The tree inventory will include street trees only; no trees in parks or on private property will be included. The trees on the county roads in the village will be included. Dan Cramblitt said that there are approximately 15-16 county roads in the village and that the village works with the county on maintaining those street trees. Dan will email Steve Jocks to inquire whether Bergen County could help offset the cost of the tree inventory.
Possible contractors that may be considered for the inventory include Davey, Bartlett and Downes. Declan Madden, Dan Cramblitt, Jean Epiphan and Ian Keller will work together to choose a contactor from the submitted bids.

Nursery Update
Mike Sedon met with the residents interested in supporting a tree nursery at the Bellair Road – tennis court site; this site was previously approved by the village council. More meetings with the residents are needed to get the residents familiar with the site, the need for funding, and to gauge their level of interest and commitment. The nursery would need ongoing upkeep and someone to oversee it.
 
Central Business District
Andrew Lowry reported that Chris Rutishauser is still working on the Chestnut Street tree well project. Andrew will email Ramon Hache and Heather Mailander to inquire on the state of the project; a commitment for this fall to improve and plant 5 tree wells on the west side of Chestnut Street is needed.
Ian Keller suggested that the pedestrian safety construction project at the intersection of Oak Street and Franklin Avenue would be an excellent spot to use structural soil in the tree wells and under the sidewalks. The project will probably take place in 2020.
The replanted tree in front of the post office is doing poorly. The soil in the well was improved, the brick collar removed and a drain put in place. The decline of this tree shows that those specific improvements in the tree well may not be sufficient, or perhaps the wrong species of tree was planted for that location.
The tree stump in front of Latour Restaurant is an eyesore but the owner of the restaurant is not interested in purchasing an Adopt-a-Tree. Ian Keller suggested that the village remove that particular tree well and consider reconfiguring that area to improve its appearance.
 
Receipts for Earth Day Expenses
Susan Nashel will obtain one missing receipt and then give all the receipts to Andrew Lowry. He will bring the receipts to Village Hall so that she can be reimbursed.
 
Adopt-a-Tree
The press release on the Adopt-a-Tree application and deadline have been sent to the Ridgewood News. Manish Shrimali posted same on social media. Applications for the trees are being received and Candace Fitzpatrick has been forwarding the information to Ian Keller. Ian and Carolyn Jacoby are still willing to aid Candace with the Adopt-aTree program.
The URL for the STC website needs to be fixed; it must be entered as www.ridgewoodshadetree.org with the “www” included or it does not direct to the website.
 
Paper Bark Maples
The paper bark maples on Broad Street, where the parking garage will be built, need to be moved before construction begins. Both Van Neste Square, where several diseased ash trees need to be removed, and Vets Field have been suggested as possible sites for the maples. The ash trees in Van Neste would have to be taken down before moving the maples there. Declan Madden will choose the new site for the trees, most likely at Vets Field, and inform Andrew Lowry of his choice.  Andrew will then contact Chris Rutishauser with this information.
 
Potted Trees, Schedler Trees, Non-street Trees
The potted trees still at the recycling center could perhaps be planted along the Dunham Trail or in a low stream-side area along Linwood Avenue to help replace lost trees; they would have to be fenced to be protected from deer.
Declan Madden suggested fir and spruce as screening trees for Schedler. Jean Epiphan suggested additional native evergreens such as red cedar, white pine and other hardy natives and also a layer of shrubs planted under the trees.
Jean also suggested that the STC go beyond street trees and also be concerned with saplings and regeneration of our forest.

Adjournment
Meeting was adjourned at 9:30PM by: Andrew Lowry.
Minutes submitted by: Melody Corcoran
 
Volunteer Hours: 10
  • Hits: 403

Ridgewood Shade Tree Commission Meeting MinutesMay 14, 2019

Opening
The regular meeting of the Ridgewood Shade Tree Commission was called to order at 7:35 PM on May 14, 2019 by Ian Keller.

Present
Ian Keller, Melody Corcoran, Carolyn Jacoby, Declan Madden, Susan Nashel

Approval of Minutes
Motions to approve the minutes for February 25, 2019 and March 26, 2019 were made by Carolyn Jacoby, seconded by Susan Nashel, and approved by all present.

Old Business
Discussion on Sustainable Jersey grant progress, CBD tree wells on Chestnut Street, and need to clarify repurposing monies for tree inventory must wait until the STC village council liaison Mike Sedon is present. He has the information on all of these topics.

Adopt-a-Tree
Carolyn Jacoby will prepare a press release for the Ridgewood News about Adopt-a-Tree and the June 30th application deadline for tree plantings this fall. The application should also be posted on social media; it is available on the website.

Tree Nursery
Mike Sedon will initially be taking the lead on an ad hoc committee that is meeting on May 17, 2019 to discuss the possibility of a village tree nursery at the Bellair Road – tennis court site. Previously, the STC tabled the topic for lack of support.

Earth Day
Susan Nashel spent $478 on supplies for the Earth Day event; $275 of that amount was for a reusable banner. She will submit the receipts to the village for reimbursement.

Train Station Trees
The removal of the linden trees at the train station parking lot took many village residents by surprise. If this move were known about ahead of time, perhaps funds could have been raised from village residents to move the trees instead of cutting them down.

Schedler Trees
Evergreens are to be planted in a berm along Route 17 for screening. Declan Madsen, the village arborist, suggested that spruce and firs be planted.

Open STC Positions
Carolyn Jacoby suggested that Mike Sedon request that Heather Mailander submit a press release to The Ridgewood News about applications for STC positions. Carolyn will have Manish Shrimali also post the application on social media. Volunteer applications are available on the village website.

Adjournment
Meeting was adjourned at 9:00 PM by: Ian Keller

Minutes submitted by : Melody Corcoran

Volunteer Hours : 6

  • Hits: 425

COPYRIGHT © 2021 VILLAGE OF RIDGEWOOD

If you have any trouble with accessing information contained within this website, please contact Dylan Hansen - 201-670-5500 x276 or by email dhansen@ridgewoodnj.net.

Feedback