Ridgewood Shade Tree Comission Meeting Minutes 20210112

Ridgewood Shade Tree Commission

Meeting Minutes

January 12, 2021

Opening

The regular meeting of the Ridgewood Shade Tree Commission was called to order at 7:35PM on January 12, 2021 by Andrew Lowry. The meeting was held virtually on Zoom.

Present

Andrew Lowry, Michael Sedon, Melody Corcoran, Ian Keller, Carolyn Jacoby, Declan Madden, Steve McCabe, Mahmoud Hamza, Manish Shrimali

Approval of Minutes

Motion to approve the minutes for December 8, 2020 was made by Carolyn Jacoby, seconded by Mahmoud Hamza, and approved by all present.

 

Tree Inventory

The STC requires a final copy of Davey’s tree inventory. This report includes the species, condition, needed maintenance, and etc. for each tree surveyed.

The estimate for surveying the trees on county roads is $19- 20,000. Ten thousand dollars of this amount is Davey’s consulting fee.

A survey of trees in parkland and wildscape areas would not survey all trees; rather, ten percent of the trees in these areas would be surveyed. The resulting inventory is extrapolated from the trees actually surveyed.

 

Emerald Ash Borer and Ash Tree Management

Declan Madden and Carolyn Jacoby agree that to save ash trees it is best not to wait; the trees need to be treated for EAB this year. Specimen,  prominent, and valuable ash trees need to identified and treated. All other ash trees should be harvested. 

Manish Shrimali has agreed to make a brief and pointed presentation on ash trees and EAB to the council. If the monies for the identification, treatment and harvesting of the village ash trees are not included in the up-coming budget, a bond should be made to cover the costs of this necessary work.

Out of the approximately 550-600 ash trees in the village, Declan will narrow this number down to 30-40 trees that should be saved. Andrew Lowry and Declan will meet with Nancy Bigos this Friday, 1/15, to discuss the ash tree situation.

 

Village Arborist for a Day

Andrew Lowry asked the interested STC members to email him with three dates they are available to shadow Declan Madden as he checks trees planted in 2018 -2019. Andrew will then get back to those members with the possible dates.

 

 

 

STC Website

If the STC decides to have its own webpage, it should be integrated with other village committees. Mahmoud Hamzah suggested an STC Facebook page. A Facebook account would need to be maintained and updated in a timely manner. Mahmoud suggested Steve Freides as administrator for the Facebook account. Carolyn Jacoby has a lot of information that could be posted. Mahmoud asked for pictures that could be posted, for example, pictures of the 2020 fall tree planting.

 

2021 Annual Accomplishment Report

The Annual Accomplishment Report required to maintain CFMP certification needs to be completed in the next two weeks. Manish Shrimali requested the revised 2020 numbers from Declan Madden and Steve McCabe so that he can complete the report. The mayor’s signature is needed before the report can be submitted.

 

Tree City

Andrew Lowry is working with Dina Kat to get the numbers needed for this year’s Tree City application. Manish Shrimali would like the information by 1/15/21. A Tree City proclamation also needs to be obtained from the mayor. Tree City status is necessary for grant consideration.

 

CBD Plan

Andrew Lowry spoke to Jeannie Johnson about possible grants for the CBD. He will get back to her about an available state reforesting grant of $30 - 40,000. When Jeannie has more information, she will talk to the STC. Andrew would like to pursue funding for a demonstration tree planting along Maple Avenue. Ian Keller would like to see more trees in the CBD that are not located in tree wells.

 

2021 Goals and Objectives

Long-term village tree canopy maintenance – planting 350 trees each year.

 

Tree protection ordinance – reorganized village council may be more receptive. Mike Sedon supports this and will try to get this on the council agenda, perhaps in February.

 

Declan Madden stated the need for long term public relations information on the value of trees being available to all residents. One way to accomplish this would be through village e-notices sent to the residents that have signed up for them. The e-notices could contain general tree information, a link to our website or Facebook page (if one has been set-up), notice of fall tree plantings, etc. Also, pre-planting post cards need to be sent to residents informing them of planned tree plantings in front of their properties. This card would allow the residents time for questions to and discussion with the Shade Tree department before any trees are planted.

 

Declan Madden also stated that the Shade Tree crew is unable to provide the residents with a good experience because of the department’s lack of resources and manpower Mike Sedon will bring up the need for another Shade Tree crew employee at the council meeting.

 

Adjournment

Meeting was adjourned at 9:25PM by: Andrew Lowry

Minutes submitted by: Melody Corcoran

 

Volunteer Hours: 8.75

  • Hits: 300

COPYRIGHT © 2021 VILLAGE OF RIDGEWOOD

If you have any trouble with accessing information contained within this website, please contact Dylan Hansen - 201-670-5500 x276 or by email dhansen@ridgewoodnj.net.

Feedback