Ridgewood Shade Tree Comission Meeting Minutes 20200114

Ridgewood Shade Tree Commission Meeting Minutes
January 14, 2020
 
Opening
The regular meeting of the Ridgewood Shade Tree Commission was called to order at 7:35PM on January 14, 2020 by Andrew Lowry.
 
Present
Andrew Lowry, Michael Sedon, Melody Corcoran, Carolyn Jacoby, Declan Madden, Susan Nashel, Steve McCabe, Judith Driver, Bob Upton
 
Approval of Minutes
Motion to approve the minutes for December 10, 2019 was made by Carolyn Jacoby, seconded by Andrew Lowry, and approved by all present.
 
Tree Inventory
All monies for the tree inventory will be available, both the requested $50,000 and the $10,000 from the grant that the village received. The resolution to finalize these funds will be voted on by the village council on Feb 19, 2020.
 
CBD Tree Wells
Soldier bricks have been removed from some CBD tree wells. This has caused other bricks in those wells to become loose. Tree roots need to be air spaded and adventitious roots removed where possible. Currently there is no money to do a tree well demonstration project. Possibly this project could be done this fall.
 
Evaluation of 2019 Tree Planting
Gator bags, guide wires and stakes are still out on the trees and need to be removed.  Declan Madden did structural pruning of the new trees last winter and this pruning should be done again this year. Andrew Lowry will discuss this with Nancy Bigos.
 
Council Presentation
The eco-warrior Girl Scouts from both BF and GW middle schools have been making presentations at the public village council meetings. They are dedicated in their support of trees, especially of the role trees play in combating global warming. They are asking for full funding of the $150,000 line item for tree planting in the capital budget for 2020.
 
Community Forestry Management Program
For the annual CFMP accomplishment report, budget numbers, salaries, monies spent, etc. are needed. Steve McCabe will furnish Manish Shrimali with the required information and Manish will complete the report. The report is due February 15, 2020.

Tree City
For Arbor Day and continuing certification of Ridgewood as a Tree City, a resolution is needed from the mayor and the village council. This is due in February.
 
Public Lecture
A speaker could not be scheduled for this spring so the public educational program will be postponed until September or October. One suggestion for this program was to present the results of the tree inventory to the residents. Included in this presentation would be the value of trees in increasing property values, the benefits of trees in reducing pollution and water runoff, etc. A panel discussion at this presentation to include Declan Madden and members of the STC was also suggested.
 
Earth Day
Colin Milde will again be invited to participate at the STC table. The proper mulching demonstration will be repeated. Two hundred tree whips are planned to be available to be handed out to residents. Fact sheets on Adopt-a-Tree and how to request a tree from the village will be available to hand out. Two tables and a canopy need to be requested for the STC area which will be located with or near the Green Ridgewood tent.
 
Graphics
Stickers need to designed for the gator bags. The information on the stickers needs to include instructions to “please water 2X a week” and an arrow indicating where the opening to add water to the bag is located. Village identification and contact information will also needs to be included.
 
Grants
A list of grants that the village and the STC could apply for needs to be generated. Frank Martini of the NJDEP, Pam Zipse of NJUCF, and Sustainable Jersey are sources of grant information. A project needs to have been identified and ready to go before a particular grant can be applied for.
 
Village Support
A statement is needed from the League of Women Voters supporting full funding of the capital budget items for tree planting and tree inventory.
The Chamber of Commerce and the Guild have expressed interest in the trees in the CBD but they want the village alone to fund the trees and tree wells. Andrew Lowry will contact them about the need for them to be involved.
 
No-net-loss
“No-net-loss of trees” should be made a campaign issue for the upcoming village council election in May. This issue can be raised at candidates’ nights. The candidates could be invited to a joint STC/Green Ridgewood meeting where this topic would be discussed.
 
Adjournment
Meeting was adjourned at 9:05PM by: Andrew Lowry.
Minutes submitted by: Melody Corcoran
 
Volunteer hours: 6
  • Hits: 151

COPYRIGHT © 2021 VILLAGE OF RIDGEWOOD

If you have any trouble with accessing information contained within this website, please contact Dylan Hansen - 201-670-5500 x276 or by email dhansen@ridgewoodnj.net.

Feedback