County and State Resources
Bergen County Board of Social Services
- Call 201-368-4200 or visit their website to learn more about their programs and services.
Bergen County Senior Helpline
- The Senior Helpline serves as an information and referral center. Call 201-336-7400 to learn more. Visit the Bergen County website for more information.
Bergen County Wellness Program
- At approximate pre-specified hours, you will receive a free daily phone call from the Bergen County Wellness Check Program to check on your well-being. The call will begin with the following prerecorded message: “This is the Bergen County Wellness Check Program. If you are OK please press '1'.”
- When you become a participant in the program, you will be asked to identify friends or family who may assist you in an emergency. When the system cannot make contact with you, it will call the relative or friend you have designated.
- If your telephone line is busy or there is no answer, the system will call back one more time after four (4) minutes. If there is no answer or the line stays busy, your contact will automatically be notified to check on you.
- The system will only respond to touchtone telephones or through a TTY, a device for the deaf and hard of hearing.
- If you would like to enroll in this program, please complete the application for the Bergen County Wellness Check Program (PDF) and forward it to the address specified on the form. You will receive a phone call prior to your first call to let you know your application has been processed.
- If you have any questions, please feel free to call the Division of Senior Services at 201- 336-7400.
Bergen Volunteer Medical Initiative (BVMI)
- BVMI has a team of 75 volunteer healthcare professionals providing care to 1,000 patients annually. Their services are offered five days a week, both in the clinic and via telehealth. BVMI has a nurse practitioner on staff who is available for phone consults and sick visits. For more information visit their website or call 201-342-2478.
New Jersey 211
- NJ 211 is a nonprofit organization that provides the 211 Service to the residents of New Jersey. This is a valuable information and referral service that connects people in need with a variety of health and human service programs. The 211 Service provides a hotline that operates 24 hours a day, every day of the year and an online, searchable directory of over 6,300 government and nonprofit programs which is found on their website.
- Dial 211 or 1-877-652-1148