Organized fire protection began in the Village of Ridgewood in 1897 with the formation of the Protection Hook and Ladder Co. #1 with apparatus pulled by horse teams. Our last two horses, Joe & Dan, who passed in the 1930s, are buried on the West side of town. The history of the fire department has gone from the horses and the Bucket Brigade to modern fire engines and ladder trucks.
The Ridgewood Fire Department protects the lives and property of all Village residents, businesses and visitors. The department is committed to the prevention and suppression of fire, emergency medical calls, disasters, public safety, education, and enforcement.
The Ridgewood Fire Department will be a progressive, modern department that will maintain high levels of service, ensuring responsible use of the resources, and focus on the professional development and training of all personnel.