Green Ridgewood-Green Team Virtual Meeting Minutes 20201001
Green Ridgewood: Bob Upton, George Wolfson, Ellie Gruber, Christine Amundsen, Saurabh Dani (School Board Rep).
Green Team: Justin Manger, George Wolfson, Ellie Gruber, Bob Upton, Anthea Zito, Chris Rutishauser (Village Staff Rep).
Additional: Miles Luo (RHS), Dianne Kidwell, Beth Creller.
Thanks again to Dylan Hansen for hosting our meeting via Zoom. Special welcome was expressed to Beth Creller, first time attendee.
Pam Perron & Mike Sedon sent apologies as they were participating in interviews of applicants for Village committees including ours.
2. Approve September meeting minutes:
There was no August meeting. Draft September minutes were distributed by e-mail but could not be approved due to the lack of a quorum.
As noted above, Village Council is conducting interviews of committee candidates tonight and new members will be appointed soon.
4. Planning Board activity:
Chris confirmed that the Planning Board will meet on Tuesday October 6th and will hear the application by Hopper Ridge Condo Assoc as well as some applications on behalf of the Historic Preservation Commission and discussion of the first part of the Master Plan. Members are encouraged to attend this and/or future meetings.
5. Communications, Social Media, Website, etc:
George talked to Joanna Hanrahan of Sustainable Ridgewood about meeting with representatives of our committees to discuss cooperation. He is trying to fix a mutually convenient time & place.
6. Future events/Geothermal presentation:
Follow-up from Geo Group on their offer to host a Zoom type event about geothermal on Sept 24th fell short of our expectations, possibly due to misunderstanding. Justin will check with them about rescheduling but it is questionable whether the event as proposed will take place.
Suggestions are needed for future events/programs.
Stormwater management is important to the Village with aspects of sustainability. Chris answered some questions for us at our previous meeting. Bob will distribute some references he provided for committee members to become better acquainted with this topic.
8. Green Team/Sustainable Jersey
Silver Recertification: No update.
Green Business Program: George is getting certificates printed for the 12 businesses to be recognized.
Wildlife Action Plan: Anthea has provided a document to Mike but it may still need to be presented to the Council.
Bergen Hub: The Aug 24th Zoom Hub meeting video and minutes are available on Basecamp. There was also a meeting Sept 28th at which Anthea represented Ridgewood. There is some confusion about recycling plastic film and a subcommittee has been proposed. Anthea is representing us on the Creative Bergen sub-committee which is working on an Arts Amble in June and planning other activities. She questioned the re-appropriation of Styrofoam grant money but that was voted on by the Hub in the past and approved by SJ.
YMCA Teen Voices: No update.
9. RGEA (Renewable Government Energy Aggregates) sub-committee:
The agenda shows we scheduled a brief presentation and Q&A from Bob Chiltern, EVP Gabel Associates, one of the leading consultants in this field. Due to Pam’s unavailability this has been postponed to our next meeting.
A question was raised whether RGEA programs can proceed concurrent with Community Solar programs. It was suggested they can but we need more information. There are limited opportunities for solar installations in Ridgewood especially with open space restrictions.
10. Sustainable Families/Households Proposal: Discussion postponed.
11. ERI (Environmental Resource Inventory): No update.
12 Leaf blowers sub-committee: Discussion postponed.
Congratulations are extended to Somerville School on their Sustainable Jersey for Schools Bronze certification.
Miles reports the RHS Green Club will seek certification in Sustainable Jersey at the Bronze level. A small group is planning a clean-up day. Chris reminded us that large scale clean-up events require a Village resolution and the Village can provide support.
In response to a question Saurabh provided an update on the Orchard remediation project which is largely complete.
14. NJ Environmental Justice Bill: We applauded that this bill has passed.
15. NJ Plastics Pollution Reduction Act: This was passed by the Assembly and Senate and was awaiting the Governor’s signature. Status uncertain.
16. NJ Transit Gas Fired Power Plant: Ellie has provided some information and Bob will resend some links distributed previously for discussion at our next meeting.
17. NJ Green Amendment: Bob suggested members be familiar with this effort. See https://forthegenerations.org/resources/states-pursuing-green-amendments/new-jersey/.
18. New business: Bob has sent out info about the LWV Kings Pond Walk on Oct 11th.
19. Next Joint Meeting will be Thursday November 5th at 7:00 PM, details to be advised.
- Hits: 68