20200116 - CSAC Minutes
CSAC Members/Liaisons: Anastasia Bamberg, Kelly Buchsbaum, Sheila Brogan, Sgt. John Chuck, Charles S. Di Marco, Joyce Docktor, Robert Fuhrman, Christopher J. Rutishauser, PE, Councilman Jeffery Voigt
Others: Eugenia Antipas, Patrick Cameron, Kevin Fisher, Jane Remis
1) Franklin Avenue Corridor-- Mr. Rutishauser reported no progress in Design Documents; Councilman Voigt had no changes in Municipal Agreements to report.
2) Crosswalk at Van Emburgh Avenue/ Hampshire Road-- Crosswalk Markings not installed prior to onset of winter weather; expected to be completed in 2020.
3) Pedestrian/Bike SRTS Grants-- Mr. Rutishauser reported NV5 is proceeding with work under the contract.
4) CBDAC-- No Report.
5) North Walnut Street- Sgt. Chuck stated some irregularities in the results of the first AFTER Study; PSE&G work in the vicinity continues and the AFTER Study will be scheduled when the utility work is completed.
6) Union Street-- Thermoplastic Markings are scheduled in 2020, weather-permitting.
7) SSATF-- Ms. Remis is working on the GWMS Map; researching other tools, Facebook Page, etc.
8) Starbucks Driveway-- Mr. Rutishauser reported no response from Starbucks representatives. He may issue a Non-Compliance Summons.
9) West Glen Avenue Sidewalks-- Construction in 2020-- Hillcrest Road to Heights Road.
10) Bike Safety/ Educational Efforts/ Sidewalk Riding-- Ms. Buchsbaum reported discussing the Bike Safety/Programs at the December 2019 Federated HSA meeting. Meeting with HSA Safety Chairs is planned. Ms. Buchsbaum met with Dr. Fishbein and agrees the issue is complicated. Bike safety programs are on-going in the schools; a new K-8 program is in the works.
11) West Glen Avenue/ North Monroe Street-- Mr. Rutishauser reported his findings and recommendations regarding the signal and intersection which were presented to the Village Manager on January 7, 2020 and to the Village Council on January 8, 2020. The recommendations include: Increasing the ALL-RED clearance interval on all approaches to 5 seconds (implemented prior to January 7th); Upgrading the signal to current standards: a) Install 12" diameter signal lenses replacing existing 8" diameter; b) Provide countdown pedestrian signals at all crosswalks; c) Improve illumination levels for better nighttime visibility-(PSE&G has been contacted by Engineering- no response to date). Preliminary cost estimate is $157,500 for materials only. Bonding and land acquisition costs are not included. Labor may be supplied by using in-house Village staff and resources, if available. An amendment to the proposed 2020 Capital Budget is required to include this project. Issues regarding visual obstructions within the properties at each corner and compliance with the Village's Sight Distance Triangle requirements are being reviewed by Engineering. Councilman Voigt referred to the January 29, 2020 Village Council meeting as an opportunity for citizens to offer comments on the matter.
12) CSAC Appointments- January 1, 2020-- Councilman Voigt said he brought the issue of appointments to the Village Council and no further action has occurred to date. He requested information regarding current CSAC member participation during the expired terms. Based on the Minutes of the past two years, CSAC had 20 meetings in 2018 and 2019. Attendance of members in 2018 and 2019 is as follows: Bamberg-12; Di Marco-19; Docktor-14; Fuhrman-18; Sacks-9; Shinozuka-9; Walker-4.
13) Long-Term Programs/ Policy Discussions-- No Items Presented.
1) Proposed Kensington Assisted Living Project on South Broad Street-- Mr. Di Marco was contacted by Mr. Michael Rafeedie of Kensington Senior Development at the suggestion of Councilman Voigt. Mr. Rafeedie requested an opportunity to present their proposal to CSAC . No current proposal is before any Village Board or the Council. The CSAC reached a consensus to decline the Kensington offer at this time, but would willingly review a future application at the request of the Village Council, Planning Board or Zoning Board of Adjustment. Mr. Di Marco will inform Mr. Rafeedie of the CSAC discussion.
2) Other- No Items Presented.
NEXT MEETING: Thursday, February 20, 2020 at 7:30 PM in the Garden Room at Village Hall.