The Library will be available over the weekend to cool off, on Saturday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and on Sunday from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m
Here is the forecast concerning the excessive heat threat beginning this weekend and continuing into next week. Heat Advisories and a potential Excessive Heat Watch will likely be issued Friday.
WHAT: Heat Wave Likely
WHERE: The entire forecast area
WHEN: This weekend and continuing into next week
Potential Hazards and Impacts:
- Max Temperatures in the 90s.
- Max Heat Indices in the mid to upper 90s Saturday, and 100-107F Sunday and Monday. Worst conditions will be felt across northeast New Jersey, New York City, the lower Hudson Valley and interior southern Connecticut.
- The heat and humidity may cause heat stress during outdoor exertion or extended exposure.
- Extreme heat can cause illness and death among the at-risk population who can not stay cool.
- Seniors, infants, and those with chronic health problems or mental health conditions are at an increased risk from the heat.
The graphic below depicts Forecast Maximum Heat Indices for Saturday June 30th
The graphic below depicts Forecast Maximum Heat Indices for Sunday July 1st
The graphic below depicts Forecast Maximum Heat Indices for Monday July 2nd
The heat index is a measure of of how hot is really feels when relative humidity is factored in with air temperature. You can use the chart below to find the heat index yourself. For more information on Heat Safety, please go to https://www.weather.gov/safety/heat
There is high confidence in an extended period of heat.
Additional Information and Resources:
NWS New York Website: https://www.weather.gov/okx/
NWS New York Summer DSS Website: https://www.weather.gov/okx/emnew_summer
River Gauges and Forecasts: https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/index.php?wfo=okx
NWS New York Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NWSNewYorkNY
NWS New York Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/NWSNewYorkNY
Online Severe Weather Reporting: https://www.weather.gov/okx/SubmitStormReport
Next Update and Contact Information:
The next update will be sent Friday June 29th around 6 am. If you have any questions in the interim or need additional information, please do not hesitate to
contact us. We can be reached by email at email@example.com or through NWSChat.
NWS New York, NY
- Hits: 608