Information - Parks and Shade Tree
Ridgewood Shade Tree Comission Meeting Minutes 20170711
Ridgewood Shade Tree Commission
July 11, 2017
Minutes: Andrew Lowry
Attendees: Andrew, Monica, Bron, Mike, Tim, Carolyn, Ian, Manish, Dan
This provides a brief summary of the decisions reached and the issues discussed at the above meeting
A quorum was present.
Minutes from June 13, 2017 were approved.
It was requested that the STC minutes be forwarded to Dylan Hansen for posting on the Village website.
Minutes from one month will be approved at the next month’s meeting, and then posted.
Dan Cramblitt was introduced by Tim. Dan will have responsibility for Parks/Trees and Tim will work with him through December 2017.
Priorities for 2017 Planting
- Areas C&D are the primary areas for this fall.
- STC agreed to budget $15,000 for CBD planting with the remaining $40,000 of the capital budget for trees split evenly between areas C&D.
- Parks and Rec Dept. will circulate bidding specs for regular street shade tree planting. Members can make suggestions for additional requirements.
- STC sub-group will develop draft spec’s for CBD tree well reconstruction and planting. Tim needs the specs by 7-21-2017 so they can be included with the entire fall shade tree bid.Adopt-a-Tree
- Tim reported we had received requests for 15 trees. One or two more may be included.
- If trees end up costing more than the $350 quoted to residents the extra will be paid from the Parks and Rec. line item budget. We don’t anticipate more than an additional $50 per tree.Downtown Tree Wells
- Manish reviewed the presentation developed by the CBD sub-group.
- He will circulate an electronic copy to STC members.
- We would like to share the presentation with the Village broadly starting with:
- CBD advisory committee - Councilman Hache is contact person
- Chamber of Commerce - Mike to make contact
- The objective of the meetings is to increase involvement of the business owners in the CBD tree planting and care process. Here is what we are doing – what can we work on together to make the project successful? Tree OrdinanceThe ordinance needs to be revised and re-introduced in a work session and then voted on in August. There were technical problems with its previous approval.Tree Nursery
- Bron reported that the Girl Scout project was not going to go forward.
- An automatic drip watering system has been set up at the recycling center.
- There was a discussion as to how long trees should be grown in nursery soil before they should be replanted.
- Our use of the whips has been reported to the NJ Tree Foundation.Misc.
- We agreed to participate in the Good Life Ridgewood program Oct. 1, 2017.
- A presentation on the STC’s work so far was made to the LWV in June.
- Let me know if I missed anything important.
VILLAGE SEASONAL SKATE PARK - FREE MEMBERSHIPS REQUIRED
The Village Skate Park is located at 259 North Maple Avenue, Ridgewood, NJ 07450 (adjacent to the Stable). Hours of operation are from 9 am to sunset daily, seasonally from mid-April through mid-October. It is a "skate at your own risk, non-supervised facility", limited to skateboards and in-line skates only. No bicycles, roller skates, scooters, go-peds or any other motorized vehicles. Protective equipment required at all times.
Photo identification memberships are required by all users at no cost. Registration may be made online at www.ridgewoodnj.net/communitypass (under Graydon Pool/Tennis/Skatepark). Once registered you must visit the Recreation Office at the Stable, 259 N. Maple Avenue, Ridgewood to obtain your photo identification badge, Monday through Friday, 9 am to 4 pm. Telephone 201-670-5560 with questions.
Village Skate Park Rules and Regulations - Ordinance No. 3638 and 3639
STORM DAMAGE CLEAN UP - MARCH 19-23, 2018
A Village wide clean-up of storm damage branches from the various Nor’easters of the last two weeks will be addressed as follows:
- Established drop zone in Graydon north parking lot (same as Christmas tree drop zone) for both residents and staff to drop off limbs. Designated with barricades. This area is already established.
- Street Division will provide “dump trucks”, loaders and personnel along with the Parks department and we will follow the leaf collection areas.
- Zone “A” Monday 03/19/2018
- Zone “B” Tuesday 03/20/2018
- Zone “C” Wednesday 03/21/2018
- Zone “D” Thursday 03/22/2018
- Friday 03/23/2018 would be the overflow day to pick up anything missed and make a final sweep of the Village streets.
- Under this plan residents would be asked to cut branches no longer than 3 feet they wish removed to the same specifications as yard waste requirements and place the branches on the curb for their zones designated day. Residents would also be welcomed to bring their branches to the drop zone in Graydon Pool north parking lot.
- No limbs bigger than 5 inches in diameter will be collected.
- No limbs will be collected from private property; only limbs of the proper size and dimension that are placed at the curb will be collected.
Please contact the Parks Division Office at 201-670-5565 with any questions or concerns.
GIFTS OF MEMORIAL TREES AND BENCHES
Memorial Tree and Bench Application and Details
VILLAGE "ADOPT A TREE" PROGRAM
In order to maintain the tree canopy of the Village, the Shade Tree Commission offers a new "Adopt a Tree" program in addition to limited replacements offered annually in the Parks and Shade Tree budget. Please find details in the link below.
Click here for "Ridgewood Shade Tree Comission" page
Click here for information on "Obtaining A Replacement Tree"
Click Here to download the "Adopt-a-tree Application"
Click here for a List of Approved Tree Species