• Home
  • Uncategorised Articles

AGENDA

OLD BUSINESS:

1)  Franklin Avenue On-Street Parking/Traffic Calming-- Update on Survey Status? (Engineering) (See Bergen County letter attached)

2)  Crosswalk at Van Emburgh Avenue/ Hampshire Road-- Completion in 2019. Any Updates? ( Engineering)

3)  Pedestrian/ Bike SRTS Grants-- Any comments received from NJDOT?(Engineering)

4)  CBDAC-- Activities Report. (Shinozuka)

5)  Kenilworth Road/ Spring Avenue-- STOP Logo Installation by Signal Division in Spring 2019. Any Updates?(Engineering)

6)  Sherman Place--Recommendations for Washington Place/Dead End? (Police/ Engineering)

7)  North Walnut Street--Report on Suggestions for Speed Control? ( Engineering/ Police)

8)  Union Street--Report on Issues/ Recommendations from October 18, 2018 Meeting. (Engineering)

9)  Parking Ordinance Audit--Council Comments on Audit Concept? CSAC Volunteers for Task Force? (Voigt)

10) Pershing Avenue--Report on Issues/ Recommendations from October 18, 2018 Meeting. (Engineering)

11) Pedestrian Safety Awareness Program-- Council Endorsement Completed? Task Force Members? (Voigt)

12) Long-Term Programs/Policy Discussions (On-Going)

  1. a) West Glen Avenue Sidewalks-- 2019 Capital Budget Item- Heights Road-North Monroe Street?( Voigt/ Engineering)
  2. b) Village Master Plan/CSAC Input.

NEW BUSINESS:

1)  2019 CSAC Chair; Vice-Chair; Secretary

2)  2019 Schedule of Meetings-- Third Thursday of the Month

3) Other

Bergen County letter on upgrade to traffic lights 01-10-19

 

  • Hits: 9

Ridgewood Shade Tree Commission
Meeting Minutes
December 12, 2018


Opening
The regular meeting of the Ridgewood Shade Tree Commission was called to order at 7:30PM on December 12, 2018 by Andrew Lowry.
Present
Andrew Lowry, Dan Cramblitt,  Melody Corcoran, Ian Keller, Carolyn Jacoby, Declan Madden, Susan Nashel, George Wolfson, Nancy Bigos
Approval of Minutes
Motion to approve the minutes for November 13, 2018 was made by Carolyn Jacoby, seconded by Dan Cramblitt, and approved by all present.

Review of Objectives for Parks and Shade Tree Dept. and Shade Tree Commission
Parks and Shade Tree Department manages, maintains and plants village owned trees. The STC assists the Parks Dept. (e.g. with gator bags), advocates for trees, advocates for funding for trees and grants, and educates residents.
Together the Parks Dept. and STC work on Adopt-a-Tree, the tree ordinance, the tree nursery and increased budget support for the Parks Dept. Projects for 2019 include the CFMP update, Arbor Day, Adopt-a-Tree, village tree inventory, and CBD trees and tree wells.

Adopt-a-Tree Fee
The new AaT fee of $450 has been sent to the village council for approval. The current fee for a celebration or commemorative tree, which includes a plaque, is $650.  Because the village is currently planting over 130 trees a year, AaT is not strictly necessary. However, AaT will be kept in place in case there is a significant decrease in trees planted in future years.
Education
Nancy Bigos, Director of Parks and Recreation, spoke to the STC. She stressed that the most important objective for the STC is education and communication. The STC must make their needs known to the village council. The STC must also educate the village council and residents about our objectives and advocacy for trees.
The STC volunteers can participate with residents in Earth Day activities by handing out free tree whips and informational brochures on AaT, the importance of trees, etc. A suggestion was made to look into the possibility of the STC and trees being the focus of the 2020 village calendar, perhaps having residents and their children identify heritage trees located in the village. These trees would be highlighted in the calendar. Social media is another way to disseminate information.
Outreach, education, programs and materials for these objectives need to be set up. Our goals and objectives need to be prioritized, then an ad hoc committee needs to be formed. The committee’s findings will then be brought back to the STC for discussion and future implementation.

CBD Tree Wells
A suggestion was made that a sign should be added to the specifications for the improved test CBD tree wells. The sign would be informational and might include the question “Do you like this permeable surface?” with a phone number or email for response. Obtaining the business owners and residents responses would give them a way to participate in the process and aid in the decisions to be made about the tree wells.

Grants
Declan Madden will look into tree inventory grants available from NJ Urban and Community Forestry program (NJUCF). He will forward the information to Nancy Bigos who will then forward that information to the village manager and Mike Sedon. A tree inventory is invaluable to the Parks and Shade Tree Dept. tree crew.

Nursery
The Bellair Road site for the nursery was approved by the village council. The site measures 80’ by 80’. REAC is giving $500 towards the nursery. The nursery will be an incremental supply source for street trees.
Adjournment
Meeting was adjourned at 9:15PM by: Andrew Lowry.
Minutes submitted by: Melody Corcoran

Volunteers Hours: 10.5

  • Hits: 7

ATTENDEES:

CSAC Members/Liaisons: Anastasia Bamberg, Sheila Brogan, Melinda Cronk, Charles S. Di Marco, Joyce Docktor, Robert Fuhrman, Christopher J. Rutishauser, PE, Martin Walker, Councilman Jeffrey Voigt

Others: Aaron Deutsch, Matt Kuiken, Andrew Kupiec, Lauren Kupiec, Chris Mehlenbacher, Jane Remis, Caitlin Schirripa, Gavin Zou

 

AGENDA ITEMS:

NOTE: The CSAC meeting scheduled for November 15, 2018 was cancelled due to inclement weather.

OLD BUSINESS:

1) Franklin Avenue On-Street Parking/Traffic Calming--Survey not complete. Consultant, NV5, is engaged. CSAC affirmed support for including bike lanes as part of project.

2) Crosswalk at Van Emburgh Avenue/ Hampshire Road-- Drainage work done; completion in 2019.

3) Pedestrian/ Bike Safety SRTS Grants-- NV5 examining in-fill projects. Meeting held with NJDOT--awaiting comments. Oak Street to Hillcrest Road along south side will be Village project. NJDOT denied funding for Hillcrest Road to North Monroe Street as part of the grant.

4) CBDAC-- No update to report.

5) Kenilworth Road/ Spring Avenue-- STOP logos to be installed by Signal Division in Spring 2019.

6) Sherman Place-- Engineering continues review of recommendations including time limit revisions.

7) North Walnut Street--Several residents requested recommendations to minimize traffic volumes and reduce vehicle speeds. Several measures were discussed as possible approaches including: a double-yellow centerline while maintaining curb parking (both traffic calming techniques); pavement markings delineating parking spaces ( a traffic calming technique): " Speed Limit XX MPH.....Your Speed Is ___MPH" signs; additional enforcement; a marked crosswalk at Robinson Lane. Residents were requested to inform Police of specific vehicles and times of travel when the speeding is most prevalent. Engineering will review possible measures with Police and report back to the CSAC when recommendations are available.

8) Grove Street-- No discussion. Item will be removed from agenda pending more information on the issue from resident.

9) Parking in ROW at RHS-- Village met with PSE&G. Village owns the property and PSE&G retains utility easement rights. Concept requires NJDEP approval to construct in a Flood Hazard Zone, vehicle barrier between ROW and HoHoKus Brook, protection of shallow underground gas mains and utility poles carrying electric transmission lines and review by PSE&G Site and Land Use Unit. The concept remains active although the cost and time to further pursue the proposal may render the concept impractical. Councilman Voigt will inform CSAC of any future movement by the Village on the concept.

10) Union Street-- Engineering will review the issues discussed at the October 18, 2018 meeting.

11) Parking Ordinance Audit-- Councilman Voigt noted the complexity of a parking audit and the effort which would be required by staff. He agreed to ask the Village Council members for an opinion on the concept of an audit. He also asked for any specific suggestions to alter ordinances be sent to Engineering which routinely reviews such matters. Pending a positive response from Council, Mr. Di Marco asked CSAC members interested in participating in a Parking Ordinance Review Task Force to volunteer at the January 17, 2019 meeting.

12) Pershing Avenue-- Engineering will examine the issues raised by Ms. Spino at the October 18, 2018 meeting. Consideration will include additional signage, pavement markings and warning devices.

13) CSAC Agendas/ Meeting Minutes-- The Village website now contains this information from 2018. Earlier records from 2015, 2016 and 2017 are available from Mr. Di Marco.

14) Long-Term Programs/Policy Discussions(On-Going)
a) West Glen Avenue Sidewalks--See Item 3 under OLD BUSINESS.
b) CSAC Input To Village Master Plan-- Ms. Bamberg, Ms. Remis and Mr. Di Marco attended the November 5, 2018 briefing on the " Our Village, Our Future" visioning project. Mr. Di Marco distributed information on the process and referred all to http://www.visionridgewood.org for more information and access to the community input questionnaire. All residents are encouraged to participate. Beth Abbott of Age-Friendly Ridgewood prepared an e-mail on the visioning project which was sent to all CSAC members on December 21, 2018 by Mr. Di Marco.
c) Pedestrian Safety Awareness Program--See Item 2 under NEW BUSINESS.

 

NEW BUSINESS:

1) Glenwood Road/ Upper Boulevard-- STOP sign enforcement concerns referred to Police.

2) Safe Streets Action Task Force-- CSAC endorsed the proposal to HSA to fund a new " Stop/ Look/ Wave...." campaign. Councilman Voigt will relay the CSAC position to the Village Council. Task Force members need to be confirmed-- Ms. Bamberg? Ms. Shinozuka? also Ms.Johnson? Ms. Remis?

3) Mr. Di Marco noted the CSAC's recently-adopted By-Laws require selection of a Chair at the January meeting from among the seven appointed members. A secret ballot can be used or any other method agreed to by the members. A Vice Chair to conduct the meetings in the Chair's absence and a Secretary may also be appointed. Additionally, the 2019 schedule of meetings will be determined (the third Thursday of the month at 7:30 PM in the Garden Room at Village Hall) and published on the Village website.

 

NEXT MEETING: Thursday, January 17, 2019 at 7:30 PM in the Garden Room at Village Hall.

 

 

  • Hits: 14

COPYRIGHT © 2019 VILLAGE OF RIDGEWOOD

Feedback