Ridgewood Shade Tree Commission Meeting Minutes 20190611

Ridgewood Shade Tree Commission Meeting Minutes
June 11, 2019

Opening
The regular meeting of the Ridgewood Shade Tree Commission was called to order at 7:35PM on June 11, 2019 by Andrew Lowry.

Present
Andrew Lowry, Michael Sedon, Dan Cramblitt, Melody Corcoran, Ian Keller, Carolyn Jacoby, Declan Madden, Susan Nashel, Jean Epiphan – Park and Recreation Conservation Board liaison to the Shade Tree Commission

Approval of Minutes
Motion to approve the minutes for May 14, 2019 was made by Carolyn Jacoby, seconded by Susan Nashel, and approved by all present.
 
Grant Application
Mike Sedon reported that all necessary paperwork for a $10,000 grant to be used towards a street tree inventory has been submitted to NJ Urban and Community Forestry.
 
Repurposing of Funds
The $50,000 originally funded for tree planting will be reallocated for a tree inventory. Mike Sedon reported that this will be done by an ordinance to be introduced on June 12, 2019 and to be voted on July 17, 2019. The ordinance will take effect 20 days after passage. The money will be available on August 6, 2019. The specifications for the bids for this work can begin now. Jean Epiphan will ask Pam Zipse, Outreach Coordinator, Rutgers Urban Forestry Program, which metrics should be included in a tree inventory to ensure that the proper specifications are listed on the bids. Ian Keller will help develop the specifications.
 
Tree Inventory
The tree inventory will include street trees only; no trees in parks or on private property will be included. The trees on the county roads in the village will be included. Dan Cramblitt said that there are approximately 15-16 county roads in the village and that the village works with the county on maintaining those street trees. Dan will email Steve Jocks to inquire whether Bergen County could help offset the cost of the tree inventory.
Possible contractors that may be considered for the inventory include Davey, Bartlett and Downes. Declan Madden, Dan Cramblitt, Jean Epiphan and Ian Keller will work together to choose a contactor from the submitted bids.

Nursery Update
Mike Sedon met with the residents interested in supporting a tree nursery at the Bellair Road – tennis court site; this site was previously approved by the village council. More meetings with the residents are needed to get the residents familiar with the site, the need for funding, and to gauge their level of interest and commitment. The nursery would need ongoing upkeep and someone to oversee it.
 
Central Business District
Andrew Lowry reported that Chris Rutishauser is still working on the Chestnut Street tree well project. Andrew will email Ramon Hache and Heather Mailander to inquire on the state of the project; a commitment for this fall to improve and plant 5 tree wells on the west side of Chestnut Street is needed.
Ian Keller suggested that the pedestrian safety construction project at the intersection of Oak Street and Franklin Avenue would be an excellent spot to use structural soil in the tree wells and under the sidewalks. The project will probably take place in 2020.
The replanted tree in front of the post office is doing poorly. The soil in the well was improved, the brick collar removed and a drain put in place. The decline of this tree shows that those specific improvements in the tree well may not be sufficient, or perhaps the wrong species of tree was planted for that location.
The tree stump in front of Latour Restaurant is an eyesore but the owner of the restaurant is not interested in purchasing an Adopt-a-Tree. Ian Keller suggested that the village remove that particular tree well and consider reconfiguring that area to improve its appearance.
 
Receipts for Earth Day Expenses
Susan Nashel will obtain one missing receipt and then give all the receipts to Andrew Lowry. He will bring the receipts to Village Hall so that she can be reimbursed.
 
Adopt-a-Tree
The press release on the Adopt-a-Tree application and deadline have been sent to the Ridgewood News. Manish Shrimali posted same on social media. Applications for the trees are being received and Candace Fitzpatrick has been forwarding the information to Ian Keller. Ian and Carolyn Jacoby are still willing to aid Candace with the Adopt-aTree program.
The URL for the STC website needs to be fixed; it must be entered as www.ridgewoodshadetree.org with the “www” included or it does not direct to the website.
 
Paper Bark Maples
The paper bark maples on Broad Street, where the parking garage will be built, need to be moved before construction begins. Both Van Neste Square, where several diseased ash trees need to be removed, and Vets Field have been suggested as possible sites for the maples. The ash trees in Van Neste would have to be taken down before moving the maples there. Declan Madden will choose the new site for the trees, most likely at Vets Field, and inform Andrew Lowry of his choice.  Andrew will then contact Chris Rutishauser with this information.
 
Potted Trees, Schedler Trees, Non-street Trees
The potted trees still at the recycling center could perhaps be planted along the Dunham Trail or in a low stream-side area along Linwood Avenue to help replace lost trees; they would have to be fenced to be protected from deer.
Declan Madden suggested fir and spruce as screening trees for Schedler. Jean Epiphan suggested additional native evergreens such as red cedar, white pine and other hardy natives and also a layer of shrubs planted under the trees.
Jean also suggested that the STC go beyond street trees and also be concerned with saplings and regeneration of our forest.

Adjournment
Meeting was adjourned at 9:30PM by: Andrew Lowry.
Minutes submitted by: Melody Corcoran
 
Volunteer Hours: 10
  • Hits: 52

COPYRIGHT © 2019 VILLAGE OF RIDGEWOOD

If you have any trouble with accessing information contained within this website, please contact Dylan Hansen - 201-670-5500 x276 or by email dhansen@ridgewoodnj.net.

Feedback