REAC-Green Team Joint Meeting Minutes 20190319

REAC-Green Team Joint Meeting Minutes 20190319

Attendance:

REAC: Bob Upton, George Wolfson, Christine Amundsen, Pam Perron, Michael Sedon (Village Council Liaison), Mary Mogerley (Parks & Recreation Rep), Jennie Smith Wilson (School Board Rep), Robert Kearney (Village Staff Rep).

Green Team: Justin Manger, Bob Upton, George Wolfson, Michael Sedon (Village Council Liaison).

Other: Leslie Lello, Anthea Zito, Tom Lillis (RAEC).

  1. Introductions/Membership update:

We again welcomed Tom Lillis of RAEC from RHS.

The Village Council will soon be addressing the applications for committee memberships. Serena, Anthea and Jamie have pending applications and Leslie plans to apply. Mike also reported receiving an application from Yvone Nava. He will ensure all pending applications are brought before the Council. Bob suggested we extend an invitation to Yvone to attend our meetings in the meantime.

  1. The minutes from the January and February meetings were approved.
  2. Sustainable Jersey
  3. Plans for Silver recertification.

All members present reviewed the SJ Actions for which they will be responsible and identified next steps. Justin will review these updates, which Actions are not covered and projected points they should generate vs. our recertification requirement. This process will be continued at subsequent meetings.

  1. Gold Star Standard in Waste
  2. Waste Reduction & Recycling Level Reporting: We have been invited to meet with the Recycling Dept on April 11th.
  3. Food Waste Pilot: We await Sustainable Jersey’s decision on the $20K SJ PSEG Municipal Grant application made jointly by Ridgewood, Glen Rock & Fair Lawn.
  4. Green Business Program

George & Pam have restaurant visits scheduled and will welcome support. We are awaiting Styrofoam Free Bergen materials for use with this program.

  1. SJ Bergen Hub
  2. “Styrofoam” Program: Science of Styrofoam event for children & parents is scheduled at The Stable on Sunday March 24th at 2.00 PM. Ridgewood collection drive is scheduled for Saturday May 18th, 10 AM – 2 PM, Graydon Parking Lot. Numerous other towns have similar events scheduled. Program paid for by a SJ Hub Grant.
  3. Next Hub meeting set for Ridgefield Park March 25th. Justin & Bob invited others to participate in the Hub meetings.
  4. Ridgewood Daffodil Festival & Earth Day Fair, Sunday April 14th - George & Bob continue to represent REAC at planning meetings. Parks Dept do not need our assistance with their exhibit so we just need volunteers for our own table. Numerous people said they are available. We will firm up assignments and what we will exhibit.
  5. Single Use Plastic Bag Ban – Mike reported that the Village attorney is drafting an ordinance which we understand will be along the lines we had proposed except that retailers may charge an optional rather than mandatory fee for single use paper bags. It was agreed to support such an ordinance rather than cause possible delay by pressing for a mandatory fee.
  6. League of Women Voters proposed resolution to discontinue the purchase of single-use PET water bottles using municipal funds – no news.
  7. Suggested uses for REAC funds.
  8. RHS/RAEC Grant Project Proposal

Tom had e-mailed a revised proposal and clarified a couple of items, in particular that the budget of $541.98 covers the greenhouse for BFMS ($354) and two Hydroponics carts, one each for RHS & BFMS ($187.98 total). The two staff members, Mr. Hoogerhyde at RHS and Mr. Wu at BFMS have confirmed the value of these items and their support of the clubs and projects at their schools.

It was therefore proposed by Bob and seconded by Rob that REAC allocate the requested funds for the project. Motion passed. Bob will address the paperwork.

Tom was advised to check that the project obtains all necessary Building Department permits from the Village’s Building Department.

  1. Middle school sustainability/environmental grant – no discussion.
  2. Tree nursery relocation – project on hold, we will reactivate this item when appropriate.
  3. Grants & Opportunities
  4. SJ PSEG Municipal Grant program. See above paragraph 3bii, Food Waste Pilot.
  5. ANJEC Open Space Stewardship Grants ($1,500, application deadline April 15th) – We are looking at a possible Eagle Scout project in conjunction with Parks & Rec.
  6. Mike reported the Recycling Dept was awarded a $3,000 grant from BCUA.
  7. Regenerative Environmentalism (Permaculture) Meet-Up Group - Unfortunately Leslie’s scheduled Feb 20th event had to be postponed due to snow. Next event will be Mar 20th: “ ‘No Stink’ Composting”. Further events are scheduled for April 24th and May 15th.
  8. Educational events
  9. “Schoolhouse Rock – Earth” interactive presentation for children grades 3 & up & parents at the library is scheduled for Monday April 22nd at 4 PM. Mike & Bob met with library who have offered to create a poster and promote the event.
  10. Water Bottle Filling Station Promotion - Pam and colleagues representing LWV and Bob were invited to address the RBSA Board on March 11th. They offered us a table at the RBSA season opening event April 27th. Bob & Pam will provide info to RBSA for their communications and develop info for the table.
  11. Rebranding/By-Laws: Justin had distributed proposed single By-Laws for the two committees but there was insufficient time for discussion.
  12. Master Plan/Visioning – Following from last month’s meeting with NV5 members were encouraged to participate in the on-line Visioning questionnaire at visionridgewood.org.
  13. Schools. – Waiting for RHS teachers to reschedule our postponed meeting.
  14. GeesePeace – Ellie had advised Ridgewood Wildscape is planning a GeesePeace program in the Village in conjunction with Parks & Health Depts. We believe we will be able to claim any appropriate SJ points as a result of this activity taking place in the Village.
  15. Plaque for Andy Antista Tree: Expecting progress soon.
  16. Future start/finish times for our meetings. No time to discuss.
  17. New business – We are invited to address Midland Park Borough Council work session about REAC & Green Team activities and hopefully they will initiate similar programs.
  18. Next Joint Meeting: Tuesday April 16th, 7.45 PM.
  • Hits: 103

CONTACT THE VILLAGE

131 N MAPLE AVENUE
RIDGEWOOD, NJ  07450

MONDAY - FRIDAY: 8:30AM - 4:30PM
SATURDAY & SUNDAY - CLOSED

 

COPYRIGHT © 2019 VILLAGE OF RIDGEWOOD

Feedback