REAC-Green Team Joint Meeting Minutes 20190219

REAC-Green Team Joint Meeting Minutes 20190219

Attendance:
REAC: Bob Upton, Christine Amundsen, Pam Perron,  Michael Sedon (Village Council Liaison), Robert Kearney (Village Staff Rep).
 
Green Team: Justin Manger, Bob Upton, Michael Sedon (Village Council Liaison).
 
Other: Serena Iacoviello, Leslie Lello, Tom Lillis (RAEC).
 
SPECIAL MEETING 7.00 PM – Discussion with Neil Desai & Annette Schultz of NV5
 
NV5 is conducting the visioning process to get input from the community prior to the development of the new Master Plan. A letter will soon be going out to all residents inviting input. Meantime they have received about 700 responses via the www.visionridgewood.org web site.
Of specific interest is that the Master Plan is required to include a sustainability section. Neil will provide more info about the specific “elements” to be addressed. He will also provide an example of a completed master plan draft for another community.
 
All participants were invited to offer thoughts on the future needs of the Village.
 
REGULAR MEETING 8.00 PM
 
1. Introductions/Membership update:
We again welcomed Tom Lillis of RAEC from RHS.
Mike reported that the Village Council continues to seek volunteers for all committees and will be addressing the applications of Serena, Anthea and Jamie soon.
 
2. Comments were invited on the minutes from the January meeting. None received.
 
3. Suggested uses for REAC funds.

a. RAEC Grant Project Proposal
The draft proposal from RAEC had been e-mailed to committee members for review. Tom addressed some questions. The two greenhouse options have similar cost ($355) so selection can be made later for one to be located at BFMS. The quote of $188 for Hydroponics Cart Set includes 2 carts, one for RHS and one for BFMS. We understand to award a grant it must be made as a donation to the BofE with the purpose defined using the appropriate form. Tom is a senior so will be off to college next year. It will be necessary to determine who will lead RAEC going forward and to get commitment from staff members from each school. They will submit a letter of support and Tom will revise the proposal.
We plan to distribute the revised proposal to committee members for a vote to approve the grant by e-mail. All at the meeting supported the proposal.

b. Middle school sustainability/environmental grant.
It was agreed that we will consider the RAEC proposal for the current school year and plan on creating our grant proposal targeted at the next school year for which RAEC hopes to apply with GWMS.

c. Tree nursery relocation – awaiting details of requirements when known.
 
4. Grants & Opportunities

a. SJ PSEG Municipal Grant program. See below under 8b.ii Food Waste Pilot.

b. ANJEC is currently offering grants up to $1500 for Open Space Stewardship Projects, application deadline April 15th. We are not aware of specific projects meeting the criteria and will check with Nancy Bigos & Chris Rutishauser and then maybe Boy Scouts.
 
5. Plastic Bags - Bob & Lisa proposed to the Village Council at the Feb 6th public meeting that they pass an ordinance similar to Hoboken’s banning single-use plastic bags and imposing a fee for single-use paper bags. The Council responded positively and will write an ordinance suggested for introduction at the Feb 27th work session. Mike suggested we ask to review it at our next meeting before it is introduced and all agreed.
 
6. League of Women Voters proposed resolution to discontinue the purchase of single-use PET water bottles using municipal funds. - Waiting for response from the Council.
 
7. North Bergen Liberty Power Plant - At the Feb 20th public meeting the Village Council adopted a resolution opposing the planned construction of this plant. The resolution was lengthier than that proposed by REAC and included a required distribution list. Pam will obtain and distribute the final version with edits to the committees.

8. Sustainable Jersey

a. Plans for Silver recertification.
Justin passed around the spreadsheet listing the Actions to be considered for our Silver recertification and the committee members assuming responsibility for each action with some additions made at the meeting. He will update the document and redistribute it. Those members are asked to familiarize themselves with the requirements for their Actions and come prepared to our next meeting  to summarize what has been done and needs to be done for each.

b. Gold Star Standard in Waste
i. Waste Reduction & Recycling Level Reporting: No update.
ii. Food Waste Pilot: Ridgewood Recycling wants to participate in the pilot collection program offered by Community Compost Co (CCC) but needs funding for the pilot. Ridgewood, Glen Rock & Fair Lawn (Wyckoff dropped out) have applied jointly for a $20K SJ PSEG Municipal Grant.

c. Green Business Program
George & Pam have started visits to restaurants. They will welcome others to help with this effort. Justin will obtain Styrofoam Free Bergen materials as support.

9. SJ Bergen Hub

a. “Styrofoam” Program: Ridgewood collection drive is scheduled for Saturday May 18th. We will schedule a Science of Styrofoam event for children & parents at either The Stable or Community Center, tentatively on Sunday March 17th.
ii. Next Hub meeting tentatively set for Ramsey Feb 28th re. Plastics in the Waterways. Again Justin & Bob invite others to participate in the Hub meetings.

10. Regenerative Environmentalism (Permaculture) Meet-Up Group.
Congratulations to Leslie on the first event, the movie “Inhabit” on Jan 30th, which was well attended. Next event will review the 12 principles of permaculture on Wednesday Feb 20. The Mar 20 program will be “ ‘No Stink’ Composting”.

11. Educational events 

a. Our planned movie for children grades 3 & up & parents at the library is scheduled for Monday April 22nd at 4 PM. Mike will review Schoolhouse Rock – Earth. Bob will meet with library about promotion.

b. REAC and LWV table at the RBSA season opening event April 27th. Bob has e-mailed RBSA who responded that the event organizer will contact us.

12. Schools. - Meeting with some RHS teachers was cancelled due to snow. Bob will reschedule.

13. Rebranding/By-Laws: The proposal to rebrand our 2 committees as Green Ridgewood Committee and the Green Team sub-committee as discussed at our last meeting was agreed, it being felt any concerns from the previous meeting had been addressed. Justin will submit a single set of By-Laws for the two committees.

14. Ridgewood Daffodil Festival & Earth Day Fair. - George & Bob continue to represent REAC at planning meetings. Date is set for April 14th.  Everyone was reminded we will need as many volunteers as possible on that date.

15. Plaque for Andy Antista Tree: Waiting for installation.

16. Future start/finish times for our meetings. Will discuss when we have better attendance.

17. No new business.

18. Next Joint Meeting: Tuesday
March 19th, 7.45 PM.
  • Hits: 562

CONTACT THE VILLAGE

131 N MAPLE AVENUE
RIDGEWOOD, NJ  07450

MONDAY - FRIDAY: 8:30AM - 4:30PM
SATURDAY & SUNDAY - CLOSED

 

COPYRIGHT © 2020 VILLAGE OF RIDGEWOOD

If you have any trouble with accessing information contained within this website, please contact Dylan Hansen - 201-670-5500 x276 or by email dhansen@ridgewoodnj.net.

Feedback