20190509 - CBDAC Minutes

Central Business District Advisory Committee

Meeting Minutes

May 9, 2019

 

In attendance: Ramon Hache, Michel Pickholz, Gail McCarthy, Kathryn Schmidt, Jacqueline Luthcke, Michael Velicu, Phillip Davis, Gary Kolesaire, Lorraine Reynolds

 

Not attending: Mary Jane Shinozuka, Bill Gilsenan, Chris Rutishauser

 

Others in attendance: Joan Groom, Paul Vagianos

 

Minutes of the April 11, 2019 meeting were approved.

 

Outdoor Seating Ordinances:  Michael Velicu raised concerns about changes to outdoor seating ordinances that owners may not be aware of.  Mayor Hache noted that the ordinances themselves had not been changed but that they were now being enforced more rigorously.

 

It was acknowledged that the ordinances are complex and sometimes subject to different interpretations.   Paul Vagianos noted that owners can call the building Department to work out best solutions if there is confusion about interpretation.

 

It was requested that the village adopt a process of warning, then a summons (without court appearance), before court appearances are required since court appearances take significant time out of the business day. If violations continue then it was recommended that the business license be revoked.  The warning phase is considered especially important given the complexity of the ordinances and in light of the fact that ordinances that may not have been enforced in the past are now being enforced diligently.  Ramon and Michael Velicu will review the ordinances.

 

Another example of a difficult ordinance is snow removal by 9:00 am.  The concern is that this imposes a hardship on small business owners who may receive a summons for not clearing their sidewalks in time while weather and road conditions may have prevented them from getting to their businesses.  Gary will review how other municipalities are managing this. 

 

Van Neste Park Enhancement:  A number of organizations are interested in participating in Van Neste events, e.g. The Guild, Jamboree, Schools, the Chamber, Dad’s Night and others.  It was suggested that an ongoing committee, similar to the Kasshau Committee, or a dedicated “Event Management” job, should be established for Van Neste to optimize its usage, perhaps under a 501c3 structure.

 

 

There is a financial shortfall for electrical work to complete the lighting in Van Neste.  Lighting the park has been delayed till the fall. It was noted that the old lampposts will NOT be removed but instead new light bulbs more compatible with the desired lighting will be installed.

 

Budget: In preparation for the next budget cycle the Committee agreed to prioritize and price items that were important to the enhancement of the CBD in time to send a recommendation to the Village Council by early 2020 for consideration in the 2020 budget.  One of those recommendations is that the Village engage a PR firm to publicize who we are and what we offer.

 

Website: Proposals have come in and Ramon will review and update the group as to next steps.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

Kathryn Schmidt

June 12, 2019

  • Hits: 217

CONTACT THE VILLAGE

131 N MAPLE AVENUE
RIDGEWOOD, NJ  07450

MONDAY - FRIDAY: 8:30AM - 4:30PM
SATURDAY & SUNDAY - CLOSED

 

COPYRIGHT © 2019 VILLAGE OF RIDGEWOOD

Feedback